Friday, October 26, 2012

Christmas in October

I have a finish!  I'm not sure there's a better feeling in quilting than finishing.  Except of course, starting.  Which explains why I have so many UnFinished Objects! ;)  This is a UFO from last fall.  I didn't get it done in time for last Christmas, so it fell to the back burner.  It traveled with me to a few retreats, but had gradually made its way to the bottom of my "retreat bag".

This week I decided that I wanted to finish it.  When I pulled it out it wasn't as far along as I remembered. :(  But I spent my sewing time this week working on it and finished it Thursday night.  Bonnie's quilt cam coincided with the last of the machine applique (which I did through all three layers, so it would double as quilting) and the embellishment.  It's fun to sew along with her and other quiltville.com fans.


Here's the project, from Jingle All the Way by Nancy Halvorsen. This is after machine applique, before embellishment.


The pattern called for lots of jingle bells that I didn't have.  I also didn't have the right color green buttons for the hanging tabs at the top.  At first I thought I'd buy what I needed tomorrow.  Drat, I really wanted to finish this up!  So I scrounged around my junk, err, I mean "notions" shelf, and came up with these things:
The scallop border at the bottom was supposed to have five large red jingle bells, one for each scallop. Guess how many cute little bells are in that bag on the left?!?  Five! :)  Since I'm in the bell choir at church, I decided it would be perfect, and my song could be rung, not sung!  I used one of the tiny jingle bells for Santa's hat, and found almost all the buttons I'd need in the middle package.  A little more scrounging around for another holly berry looking button, and I was good to go!

All done!
Finally, here's a close-up of my favorite part.
Thanks for stopping by,
Nan

No comments:

Post a Comment