Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Retreating

This last weekend I went to a quilt retreat with the shop.  It was held at a serene B&B in rural Kansas, Cedar Crest Lodge.  Laura is a fantastic gourmet cook, and we laughed, ate and sewed up a storm.  Here's some of what I got up to:





This is the "real thing", my first twilling project (my practice project doesn't count).  I did this wool twilling as a sample for the shop to show that you can twill on wool.  It's the June monthly twilling pattern and I put on the borders, quilted it and bound it at retreat.  The wool was really nice to twill on.  My practice piece on the other hand, well...as Christina who taught me to twill says, "everyone needs a practice piece".  I'm going to pitch it, as the stitches really don't look that great.

I added the borders and finished the quilt top for Roll, Roll Cotton Boll.  This was a Bonnie K Hunter mystery quilt and is now in her newest book, String Fling.  I'll add a pic once I've quilted it.  I'm really happy with how it looks so far!

We also made these fun placemats for our hostess, Laura.  She uses a different set of dishes and placemats for every meal while we're there.  We did about half of the placemats with orange and the other half with green.  It's a fun stitch & flip method and Laura was delighted and surprised with our gift.

And just so you aren't tempted to think it was all work and no play, here I am sitting by the pool, modeling the beach bag that I recently made (with lots of help from my friend Amber).  This was the bag's first trip to the pool or beach, so I thought Amber needed to see me with it!

Thanks for stopping by!
Nan



No comments:

Post a Comment