Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Homemade Hot Chocolate

It's been unseasonably warm during the day here lately.  (Hooray!  I'm in no hurry for winter!)  But the evenings still cool down, and on a cool fall or winter evening, nothing warms me up like hot chocolate.  I decided to look for a homemade hot chocolate recipe and found two that looked good here and here. (That second site is full of all sorts of evil temptation!  The chocolate chip cookie dough fudge is on my list for making for a party this weekend.)  I sort of combined the two recipes and came up with a mix that was ok, but a little bitter.  So I added more powdered sugar, and the second time was the charm! :)

Here's what I ended up with:

Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups cocoa
3 cups instant non-fat dry milk
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons corn starch

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.  Fill mug about 1/3 full of mix and stir in hot water. Store mix in an airtight container.


Yummm!  Do you have a good homemade hot chocolate mix?  If so, please share!

Thanks for stopping by,
Nan 

1 comment:

  1. Yes I do, my mom has made this for years and years so she is the source. My kids call it "Grandma's Hot Chocolate" and it makes a lot!

    1 box powdered milk (big box--20? qts or something)
    1 large Nestle's Quik
    1 large bottle dry non-dairy creamer
    1 two lb bag powdered sugar
    a little salt

    I find it easiest to dump it all into a clean trash bag and roll it around until it is mixed. It makes enough that you can put some in jars and share with your friends.

    ReplyDelete