Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Crockpot Spaghetti

So what's a girl with 10 miles (give or take just a little!) of binding to tack down to do for supper?  Why, turn to my BFF in the kitchen, the crockpot, of course!  This recipe is easy and good, my two must-haves.  And it's also  reasonably healthy, which I usually try for.

Crockpot Spaghetti
1 1/2 lb lean ground beef
2 jars pasta sauce
1 box pasta
1 pkg shredded Italian-compatible cheese (like mozzarella, parmesan or this "5 Cheese Italian" blend I've found)
That's it!

 Did you know you can cook ground beef in the crockpot?  You can!  My mom told me she did it for chili and I tried it and appreciated the convenience of not having to stand over the stove.  The only downside is that draining it isn't the easiest thing in the world.  I use paper towels to sop up the grease.

Anyway, put the ground beef (the leaner the easier the draining) in the crock pot on high for about 2 hours, or low 6-8 hours or so, until it's cooked or you get home, whichever comes first.  Drain or sop up the grease.  Add the pasta sauce and let it simmer on low until about 30 minutes before you want to eat.  (If I'm working the day I make this, I cook the ground beef starting when I go to bed the night before.  In the morning drain the grease and add the pasta sauce and when you get home from work continue with the directions below.)

Break the pasta in half and stir it into your meat/sauce.  (Unless your crockpot is bigger than mine - maybe you wouldn't have to break it?)  Let it cook for about 20-25 minutes.  Stir well.  Add about half the package of cheese to the top and let it go another 5 mins or so, until the pasta is cooked and the cheese is melted.  Be careful not to let the pasta overcook.  Turn off the crockpot and remove leftovers to storage container asap so the pasta doesn't keep cooking and get overdone.

Then enjoy!  Reserve the remaining cheese for the leftovers.  This serves an army.  Yay, leftovers and no more cooking for the foreseeable future! :)

Thanks for stopping by,
Nan

12 comments:

  1. What if I decided to cook the meat the old traditional way (on the stove first) - then mix the sauce & mix together with the uncooked pasta - how long would it take before my noodles would be cooked (without being mushy)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Thanks for your comment & great question! Since I've never done it that way, I'm not sure. What I suggest is that you put your cooked meat and sauce in the crockpot until they're nice and hot (maybe an hour on high or 2-3 on low?). Then follow the directions above, adding the noodles for about 20-25 mins and then the cheese for another 5 or so mins. Another factor is that I use whole wheat pasta, and I'm thinking that white pasta cooks faster. Good luck and please let me know how yours comes out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually just made a version of this last week. Wanted something easy to throw in the crockpot so lunch would be ready when we got home from church Sunday afternoon. I browned up the meat the "old fashioned" way and then threw my meat, sauces, and noddles all in the crock pot, layering it kinda like lasagna. Cooked it on low for about 4 hours and it turned out pretty good. Not saucy and the noddles could have been a little more done so I'll add a couple cups of liquid next time. Anywho, just thought I'd add my 2 cents of experience here. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. About how many does this feed??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holly, I would say it easily feeds 4 people. Throw in bread & a salad and feeding 6 should be no problem. :)

      Delete
  5. I made this last night and it was amazing!

    I added about 1/2 of a medium white onion (diced), lemon pepper seasoning, salt, garlic powder, Lawry's seasoned salt, and oregano to taste. I also used angel hair pasta and shredded Colby Jack cheese.

    Mine came out a little thick, so if you like thinner sauce I suggest adding about 1/4 a cup of warm water to your crock pot near the end until desired consistency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm...those sound like great additions! Thanks for passing along the suggestions! :)

      Delete
  6. I made this and my husband and I loved it! It was so easy and with the weather being so hot don't want to use the stove or oven. Thank you so much for sharing! I also added some ingredients very very good and easy;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Think I'm going to try this tonight but instead of beef I'm going to use boneless chicken breast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it would be great with chicken. :)

      Delete
  8. Use a turkey baster to suck up the grease... Much easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a wonderful idea! I'm going to try that the next time I make it. Thanks! :)

      Delete