Thursday, September 6, 2012

Roll, Roll Cotton Boll quilt is done!

I've finished the binding and have labeled the quilt I've mentioned the last several days.  It's Roll, Roll Cotton Boll, a mystery quilt designed by Bonnie K Hunter.  The pattern is now in her latest book, String Fling.  I started it in 2010 when the mystery started, getting the middle of the quilt done within a few months.  But I was nervous about the pieced borders fitting correctly, so I stalled at the border stage.  At retreat last month I finished the top first thing.  The borders came out great!  Why did I let fear hold me back for so long?

Then I quilted it on Monday and machine-attached the binding Monday night.  I've been hand-tacking the binding like a fiend ever since!  And here it is all finished!
I had some top thread breakage problems on the longarm quilting machine starting about halfway through the quilting.  I tried all my usual tricks but nothing helped, and you know what solved the problem?  Changing from a 3.5 needle to a 4.0 (ball) needle.  I decided to try it because of all the seams in the quilt.  It seemed like the needle wasn't quite strong enough when it hit bulkier seam allowances.  I had tried replacing the needle (twice!) with new 3.5 needles but that didn't help.  After the needle change to a 4.0, it worked like a champ!

Below is a close up of one corner so you can see how the border turns, and also how many seams there are with the string piecing.  You can probably guess how bulky those seam allowances are where the blocks meet.
And here's a close up of one block that shows the quilting.  I agree with Bonnie that when you have so much activity in the piecing, a nice smoothly flowing overall quilting design works because it doesn't compete for too much attention.  It just enhances the piecing.
This is my "tease" pic of the backing from the other day that shows the quilting better.

Whew - I'm happy to cross this off my list!  And now onward!  I've been spending my 1 hour a day doing hand embroidery on the Vintage Tin Woody & bridge block as part of Bonnie's 1 hour a day hand work challenge.  It's coming along nicely.  Are you doing one hour of hand work a day?  If you're not a quilter, maybe you could find an hour a day to do something relaxing and just for yourself that you enjoy - like read a book, take a walk or listen to your favorite music?

Thanks for stopping by,
Nan

2 comments: